Wednesday 21 March 2012

New York, New York.....

Packing.....

The 17-year-old wanders in to the bedroom as I'm packing, surrounded by cases and piles of clothes. He watches for a few moments and then, in a slightly confused tone, asks 'Mum, why on earth are you packing those?'
Me, looking up with a pair of long black socks in my hands, 'What?, Oh these, they're my flight compression socks.'
Him: 'Your what?'
Me: 'Flight compression socks, you wear them on long flights to stop deep vein thrombosis.'
Him: 'Deep vein what? What's that?'
Me: 'Blood clots in your legs.'
Him, nodding at socks, 'Well, they won't be any use.'
Me: 'Why not?'
Him: 'They're my football socks.'
Ah, ok.


Just arrived, 4am UK time, a huge bed each!

Rockerfeller Center.

Getting to grips with the lingo.

The 11-year-old, ordering breakfast: 'I'd like some eggs please.'
Waitress: 'Sure, how would you like them?'
Son, looking a bit unsure: 'Er, I'd like them fried please.'
Waitress: 'Would you like them sunny side up?'
Son, looking more than a little confused: 'I don't know what that is'.
Waitress: 'That's when they're looking at you with the yolk facing up.'
Son: 'Oh right, so is the other way rainy side down then?'


Look what I found in Battery Park

Ah, so that's the real one.......

Times Square

Central Park

Central Park

Hot chocolate in The Boathouse, Central Park
Brooklyn Bridge

Bell given by London to New York in rememberance of 9/11

Freedom Tower going up at the World Trade Center site

Taxi!

The amazing Flatiron building

One boy's idea of WWE heaven, ToysRus, Times Square


Busking New York style....wandering through Washington Square Park, Greenwich Village.

The 11-year-old: 'Wow, there's a man playing a piano.'
The 17-year-old, looking around,: 'Blimey, how did he manage to get that here? Oh it's on wheels, perhaps he was dropped off by someone in a van.'
Slight pause while we listen to the music.
The 11-year-old: 'Well that's not something you'd see in Bath every day.'


Busking Greenwich Village style

Empire State, one tall building....


What a view.....from the Empire State


My favourite building, the beautiful Chrysler Building

And again....breathtaking at dusk

Downtown skyline from Staten Island ferry

And finally.....well, every girl deserves a treat.......

Flying home.

Settling into my seat on the British Airways 747 waiting to leave JFK for London.
'Good evening ladies and gentlemen, I'm Captain Mandy ****** and I'll be flying you to London this evening'....
Oh great, six hours of not being able to get 10cc's 'I'm Mandy, fly me' out of my head.

















No comments:

Post a Comment