Monday 14 February 2011

Confessions of a window cleaner......

I like to sleep with the curtains open. There's something about waking up and being able to see the sky as soon as I open my eyes.

Unfortunately this morning it wasn't the sky I saw but a man on a ladder with a squeezy sponge in his hand. The window cleaner cometh.....

So, what's the etiquette when you're under the covers in your red spotty silk nightie with bed hair and there's a man at your window who's as startled as you are? I did my sleeping lion impression but he and I both knew that I was awake. The poor man was trying to clean the window in double quick time.

Unfortunately the window cleaner and I have history. This is the same man who had been unlucky enough to have chosen to clean my bedroom window exactly at the moment that I came out of the shower room clad in a towel that didn't quite cover all the bits it needed to. The poor chap nearly fell off his ladder and I nearly dropped the towel in shock. We've been extremely polite to each other every time he's called for his money since then.

Finally I decided the only thing for it was to play it cool, so I casually sat up in bed, smiled, shook out the bed hair and wished him a good morning while pulling the duvet swiftly up as far as my ears. A performance worthy of a Bafta but I've a feeling my windows might be staying grubby for a while from now.......

2 comments:

  1. Oh crikey!! I've had a couple of those window cleaner moments in various states of dress, never too funny at the time but hilarious afterwards :-)

    Jem

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! The poor man hasn't been able to look me in the eye since the towel incident so today's encounter will be enough to put him off for life, I reckon! Thank you for following my blog, I'm glad you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete